Many fear that today's youth face a less hopeful future than their parents. But is the inter-generational angst warranted? The statistics are certainly sobering: youth unemployment is double the national average, and the crisis is even worse among Aboriginal young people. But the challenges run deeper than unemployment.
This session will examine the difficulties facing Canada's younger generations and react to new Broadbent Institute polling that shows unease across generations with current corporate-friendly economic policies. It will also discuss what a 'new deal' for Canadian youth should look like.
Meet the panel:
- Moderator: Lyndsay Poaps, engagement specialist
- Gabriel Bran Lopez, Founding President, Youth Fusion, Co-founder of FIRST Robotics Quebec
- Johanna Uekermann, Chairwoman of the Young Socialists in the German SPD (Social Democratic Party)
- Max FineDay, President, University of Saskatchewan Students' Union
- Sean Geobey, Research Manager at the Waterloo Institute for Social Innovation and Resilience and McConnell Fellow at SiG @Waterloo