Who we are and what we believe
The Broadbent Institute, founded in 2011, is Canada’s leading progressive policy and training organization. With offices across the country, we champion change through excellent research and analysis, educating and supporting a new generation of leaders, and the publication of innovative journalism through our media division, PressProgress.
Our work is guided by the Broadbent Principles for Canadian Social Democracy – we believe all people have equal worth and equal rights, and that we all benefit from living in an increasingly equal society.
We are committed to realizing the promise of Canada as a diverse, just, and inclusive society. These values matter to us today and they matter to our future. The vast majority of Canadians share these progressive values.
As an independent and non-partisan organization, the Broadbent Institute works to:
- Research and advocate for the ideas that will help create the secure, sustainable future we all desire
- Expose and counter regressive practices, policies, and ideas
- Train and support the leaders of tomorrow
- Convene progressive voices - both within and outside of electoral politics - to recast political conversations
- Encourage and facilitate open discussion about the policies and actions that will move us forward as a country
- Motivate Canadians to speak and act based on their beliefs
The Broadbent Institute works with colleague organizations across Canada and around the world and is proud to be an Observer Member of the Foundation for European Progressive Studies.