POSITION SUMMARY & CORE EXPECTATIONS:
The Broadbent Institute is seeking a Regional News and Opinion Editor, for PressProgress, an online news project of the Institute.
Reporting to the Program Director, the PressProgress Regional News and Opinion Editor works with the PressProgress Editor to plan, coordinate and create news content for the PressProgress website. This position is committed to ensuring high quality coverage of news items in regions of focus, and exploring and overseeing opportunities for PressProgress to develop opinion-based content.
- Creates content development strategies for PressProgress, through both short-term and long-term editorial plans.
- Supervises regional and opinion news content by assigning and editing copy, producing content as needed, posting content to the site, Facebook page and Twitter.
- Monitors news and social media feeds to identify potential news stories and conducts enterprise reporting and research to produce original content.
- Packages content for social media and posting content to PressProgress’ social streams (Facebook and Twitter).
- Collaborates with the PressProgress Editor on strategic approaches to content, editorial decisions, social media content, social media ads and outreach strategies.
- Supports the PressProgress Editor through the monitoring of social media analytics and liaising with influencers and allies to push out content digitally.
- Commitment to the Broadbent Institute’s vision and mission.
- At least 4 years of experience writing and editing political news content.
- Experience with existing and emerging online news platforms preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of and passion for Canadian politics.
- Post-secondary degree or equivalent.
- Excellent communication skills, superior writing and editing skills.
- Design experience and skills are asset.
- Ability to communicate in French is an asset.
- Capable of working independently and taking the initiative at critical moments.
- Effective at coordinating teams and supervising the work of individual members.
- Ability to work productively out of office.
- Exceptional online research skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent oral communication skills.
- Sound political judgment.
- Proven ability to thrive under the tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
This is a full-time position which may be located anywhere in Canada. Access to office space is limited to Toronto and Ottawa. Other locations will require working remotely.
Applications will be accepted until 5 PM on October 15th, 2018. To apply please forward your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “PressProgress Regional News and Opinion Editor,” in the subject line.
The Broadbent Institute is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all candidates in advance for their application, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.