In July 2021 the Broadbent Institute and the Professional Institute for the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada commissioned Abacus Data to conduct a national public opinion survey to explore attitudes and opinions about tax fairness in Canada.
The survey also explored opinions about tax fairness, affordability, and the impact of the pandemic on household finances. Three reports from the survey were released discussing tax fairness and public policy, the federal deficit and post-pandemic recovery, and afforadbility.
- 57% of Canadians believe the pandemic has led to a rise in economic inequality
- 62% describe Canada’s tax system as unfair
- Two-thirds of Canadians think the Trudeau government hasn’t done enough. 64% believe Trudeau hasn’t done enough to fix the tax system and 66% think Trudeau hasn’t done enough to reduce economic inequality
- 89% of Canadians want to see a wealth tax of 1% paid by the wealthiest Canadians as part of our pandemic recovery, including 82% of CPC supporters
- Similar levels of broad political support were also expressed for closing tax loopholes, taxing excessive corporate profits booked during the pandemic, as well as higher income tax rates on large corporations and the top income bracket
Report 1: Canadians on Tax Fairness
REPORT: David Coletto, Abacus Data. Canadians Think Their Tax System Is Unfair And Support New Revenue Tools That Bring Down The Deficit And Reduce Inequality Now.
RESEARCH: Abacus Data for the Broadbent Institute and the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada. Tax Fairness, Public Policy & Politics in Canada.
Report 2: Deficits and the Pandemic
REPORT: David Coletto, Abacus Data. To Reduce the Deficit, Canadians Want Increased Taxes on the Wealthy and Large Corporations.
RESEARCH: Abacus Data for the Broadbent Institute and the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada. What Canadians Think About the Federal Deficit and the Post-pandemic Recovery.
Report 3: Affordability Anxiety
REPORT: David Coletto, Abacus Data. Affordability anxiety continues as most Canadians say they worry about the cost of living.
RESEARCH: Abacus Data for the Broadbent Institute and the Professional Institute of the Public Service of Canada. Affordability Persists Post-Pandemic.
Download Broadbent Institute - July 2021 Tax Fairness Report EN Download Broadbent Institute - Aug 2021 Deficits and the Pandemic Download Broadbent Institute - Affordability Anxiety 2.0 - August 2021